You may be surprised to learn there are an estimated 12-billion bulbs worldwide. About 1/3rd of these are found in North America, where an estimated 60 percent are still common bulbs such as 100W, 75W, 60W, and 40W incandescent light bulbs.
By simply replacing inefficient light bulbs with two-dollar LED bulbs, it is estimated that North Americans could save $6 Billion-dollars a year to light their homes.
You may also be surprised to learn that 90% of the energy used to create light from incandescent bulbs is lost as heat. In fact, it can be fair to say that incandescent light bulbs are like mini heaters! An LED, in contrast, converts about 90 percent of the supplied energy into visible light.
Even the best-performing 60-watt incandescent bulbs can be replaced with equivalent LED bulbs consuming 85 to 90 percent less energy. As a result of this energy savings, a $2.00 LED bulb pays for itself in a few months with typical use.
Did You Know:
- The average home in North American has 45 light sockets
- Lighting accounts for 15 percent of global electricity consumption
- Lighting also accounts for 5 percent of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions
As attractive as the energy savings from CFL’s offered, they couldn’t compete with today’s highly efficient, long-lasting, LED’s. And from an environmental waste perspective, CFL’s contain enough toxic mercury to have them banned by many countries for disposal with regular garbage.
A typical LED bulb lasts 35,000 to 50,000 hours, more than 20 times the average life of an incandescent bulb, and roughly six times the life of a compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL).
The Future: Smart Lighting
LED lighting, also referred to as Solid-state-lighting (SSL), opens a whole new world of possibilities beyond their core function as a source of light. Solid–state lighting (SSL) refers to a type of lighting that uses semiconductor light-emitting diodes. This same technology is now used to create smart lighting solutions.
These futuristic sounding features are now available with today’s LED lighting
- LED bulbs with built-in Bluetooth speakers
- LED flood lights with HD security cameras and 2-way intercom
- LED bulbs with WIFI extender signals
- Colour adjustment: LED’s can be used to produce the entire RGB colour spectrum
- Flexible LED light strips to light up every nook and cranny in your home and garden
- LED human-centric lighting that mimics sunrise to help you wake up more naturally
- Built-in dimming without the need for a dimmer
- Ability to control your light via smartphone, tablet, mobile switches or even with your voice!
Lighting manufacturers will continue to dazzle us with advanced technologies that make today’s smart lighting look like grade school. And with the energy efficiency of LED’s improving year-after-year, together with lower costs and longer bulb life, LEDs will continue to drive an energy-efficient lighting revolution.
For information on government rebates/incentives for LED bulbs, you can visit the link below or send me an email. https://saveonenergy.ca/For-Your-Small-Business